The Woodlands, Spring, Conroe and Houston's Tax Free weekend used to take place the first weekend in August but now has been moved closer to the first day of school.
The annual sales tax holiday weekend will begin Aug. 17 at 12:01 a.m. and end at midnight Aug. 19. All Texas public schools will now start back to school on the fourth Monday of August, which falls on Aug. 27 this year of 2008.
For the first time, backpacks under $100 and used by elementary and secondary students will be exempt, along with most clothing and footwear priced less than $100, saving shoppers 8.25 percent
For parents, the annual event can really help during back-to-school shopping since many stores offer big discounts on top of the tax break.
The Woodlands Mall will be open extended hours:
Friday, August 15 from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Saturday, August 16 from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Sunday, August 17 from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Here are some of the guidelines for tax-free weekend.
- Customers will receive the break on individual items, regardless of the total amount they buy. For example, sales tax is not due if a customer buys six shirts each priced at $99. But full tax is due on a shirt sold for $100.
- Clothing and footwear used primarily for athletic activities or for protective wear are not eligible for the exemption. For example, customers buying golf cleats or football pads must pay sales tax. Athletic wear that is also used for other non-athletic activities qualify for the tax exemption. For example, tennis shoes, baseball caps and jogging suits are often worn during everyday activities and will be tax-free.
- Accessories such as jewelry and watches are excluded and will be taxed, as well as items that are carried rather than worn, including handbags, briefcases and wallets.
For more information, call the tax-free hotline at (800) 252-5555 or visit the State Comptroller's Web site.
- #1 Best Selling master-planned community in the state of Texas
- 27 miles North of Houston
- 16 miles from George Bush Intercontinental Airport
- Close to I-45 and the Hardy Toll Road
- Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion outdoor amphitheater
- 190 miles of hike and bike trails
- Exemplary public schools and Acclaimed private schools
- Ranked one of the top 10 safest communities in Texas
- Click here to see a video of "The Woodlands"