Homecoming at The Woodlands Texas High School and Excitement is in the air!!!!!
Since everything grows big in Texas, it's also not surprising that the Lone Star State is credited with developing some of the most elaborate corsages known as Homecoming Mums!
Some students take the mums just as seriously as the Homecoming Football Game itself and you know ... EVERYTHING IS BIGGER IN TEXAS!
A few days before the dance students who have dates, exchange mums for the girls and garters for the guys!
It is usually worn in the middle of the chest like a breastplate with the streamers flowing down the front of the body almost touching the ankles. It is a fashion statement!
The guys wear Homecoming Garters, a smaller version of the mum, on their sleeves.
For the uninitiated, a homecoming mum is an oversize mum corsage that is decorated with:
- school colors
- a teddy bear (some of the more elaborate ones have Barbies school uniforms)
- their names in sparkly letters
- of course a cowbell at the bottom
They can cost over $100 and weigh as much as 12 pounds!
Homecoming mums have become a status symbol for many high school students.
Designs change every year and the more original, the better!
Friday September 26 The Woodlands High School Highlanders Varsity Football will play Clear Lake High School at the Woodforest Stadium at 7:30pm.
The Band was getting ready with all of their instruments.
The Homecoming Dance will be on Saturday, September 27, at 8PM.
- #1 Best Selling master-planned community in the state of Texas
- 27 miles North of Houston
- 16 miles from George Bush Intercontinental Airport
- Close to I-45 and the Hardy Toll Road
- Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion outdoor amphitheater
- 190 miles of hike and bike trails
- Exemplary public schools and Acclaimed private schools
- Ranked one of the top 10 safest communities in Texas
- Click here to see a video of "The Woodlands"